If you are either a researcher or practitioner with a special interest in tourism, we kindly invite you to become a member of this unique worldwide network. The AIEST membership provides:
- acccess to the AIESTs social network platform for continuous exchange between members
- electronic subscription of Tourism Review with four issues a year
- an annual conference at reduced fees (Associate members can delegate three people)
- one day young researchers' workshop prior to the conference
- a channel for contact with other international organisations and external project partners
- free access to UNWTO eLibrary for Junior Members
The Association has the following categories of members
Regular Member (Annual fee: € 200.–)
Persons may be admitted as regular members if they produce satisfactory evidence that, within the field of tourism and hospitality, they:
- are engaged in teaching or research at a scientific level and interested in disseminating knowledge into practice, or
- endeavour, in practice, to apply scientific methods or to translate the findings of scientific research, or
- are specifically involved in the promotion of research, education and practices.
Junior Member (Annual fee: € 100.–)
Persons may be admitted as junior members if they are a scientific expert at an early stage of their academic or professional career according to Article 4, section 1. Junior membership expires after a maximum of five years and entitles the holders to become regular members without any formal application.
Senior Member (Annual fee: € 100.–)
AIEST members can apply for Senior Membership the year after their retirement begins and under the following conditions:
- they have been a regular member for at least 10 years
- they are at least 60 years old
- they receive no substantial income from active work.
Associate Member (Annual fee: € 675.–)
An organization may be admitted as an associate member with consultative voice, if it is an organisation or institution which is interested in or committed to the objectives of the AIEST.
Each associate member, or body, is entitled to send participants to the Association's annual conference, provided that their representation does not exceed a maximum of three delegates.
Kindred Association Members (territorial or sectorial organisations)
An organization may be admitted as a kindred association member with consultative voice, if it is an organization or institution whose members are potentially interested in or committed to the objectives of the AIEST. Each kindred association member is entitled to send participants from its highest representative body (e.g. board of directors or similar) to the Association's annual conference at AIEST rate, provided that their representation does not exceed a maximum of three delegates. Each member, individual or institution, of a kindred association member is entitled to a preferential regular membership fee, providing that membership is granted in the first place.
Honorary Member (free)
Persons may be designated as honorary members, whether or not they are regular members, if they have rendered special services to research or to education within the field of tourism.
Expiry-Policy of AIEST membership
Membership of the categories set out in Article 4 expires:
- on resignation, which must be notified in writing to the President, with a minimum of three months' notice to expire at the end of a calendar year. The subscription for the year, in which the resignation is tendered, is due in full
- on death (for individual members)
- on exclusion from membership, which in case of an individual and an associate member may be made by the Committee.
- Members who have resigned or who have been excluded from membership have no claims of any kind on the Association.